Fortune’s 10 Reasons Why German Cars Rule
Full disclosure: am a BMW Fan boy. Used to own a 1985 BMW E30 aka Sabine that I frivorously rebuilt, drove hard & sold. Needless to say I’d trade both my kidneys to have a BMW M3 in my garage… So you can guess how excited I was to see this post on Autoblog.
1. First and foremost, the Germans have been practicing this automotive thing a bit longer than most countries. It was Karl Benz who, in 1879, first patented the internal combustion engine and then in 1886 received a patent for his first automobile.
2. The Germans have a storied racing history where their machines were pushed to their limits and then there’s the infamous Green Hell – The Nürburgring – where any car manufacturer worth their salt goes to develop their cars.
3. Any country with 8,000 miles of public roads that allow almost unlimited speed is destined to turn out cars capable of thriving in that environment. The German Autobahn is as uniquely German as the cars the country produces… think of Thika Super Highway 50kph Speed Limit and pass out *bah*
5. Technology. Fortune notes that “Engineers occupy a high pedestal in a country that prizes technology and craftsmanship.” When engineers are given permission to do their thing, they can produce some seriously impressive machinery. Its however interesting to note that 75% of their workforce is above 45 years. Will they be able to maintain such standards in years 20 years?
8. Price is very nearly the object – Fortune says “Sometimes, how much you pay for something – as opposed to its function – is the point of the exercise.” An extra $330 charge for a Porsche logo on the center console lid of a 911, for example.
10. Everybody else is in second place. Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Porsche are generally thought of as top marques because, well, they say they are and, despite great efforts by brands like Jeep, Cadillac and Lexus, they remain on top of the heap.
Toyopets and Fuji Heavy boys, can we agree to disagree?
Thanks for reading through. Hit the share buttons below if you liked the post…
Disclaimer: Pictures appearing on this blog are copyrighted to the photographers and the sites indicated. Kindly refrain from using them for editorial purposes (not unless they are copyright free).
- Report: Fortune offers 10 reasons why German cars rule (autoblog.com)
- This Day in History: KARL BENZ UNVEILS HIS PATENT MOTORWAGEN (1886) (euzicasa.wordpress.com)
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz CLS Shooting Brake [ VIDEO ] ~ Grease n Gasoline (greasengasoline.wordpress.com)
- Lexus Increases Incentives to Compete with BMW, Mercedes (quickcarquote.com)
- Mercedes lags in China as Audi and BMW Hit the Throttle – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- Will BMW Unveil its FWD 1-Series GT in Paris? (newconceptcars.org)
- Bmw-the Branded Majestic Wonder (athingforcars.com)
- Mercedes Recalls 22,000 Faulty Cars (confused.com)
- Mercedes-Benz Offers Matte Finishes (quickcarquote.com)
- Automobile brands on Instagram (gramfeed.com)